National and International Collaboration
IBTec has built relationships with research institutes around the world and can tap into these resources for collaborative work on projects when needed.
IBTec identifies opportunities to collaborate with other research centres in New Zealand as well as in other countries where this brings mutual benefits and increased international engagement by supporting international research initiatives in its area of interest.
Our strategy is collaborating with others to enhance our own research. This can lead to a clearer understanding of our competitiveness and worldwide trends and developments. We are committed to strengthening communication and knowledge-sharing internally and externally to support this process. In doing so, we aim to encourage a greater awareness of trends and developments, innovation, good practice and networking opportunities. Our medium- to long-term aim is to develop capacity, capabilities and opportunities for this theme and its national and international partners through collaborative activities.
Some of the activities have taken place in the last five years are:
Established International Links and collaborations with a number of international universities, research centre, and companies. Some of these are:
- Cellular and Molecular Physiology Laboratory (CMPL), División of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, School of Medicine, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Continuous research collaborations with the department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering at the Mayo Clinic, College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, USA. Several research projects have been conducted under joint supervision which led to more than 5 joint publications. One of IBTec’s PhD students carried out a part of his experimental work at the Mayo clinic and further joint research is planned.
- Laboratory of Hemodynamics and Cardiovascular Technology, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
- Center for Investigation and Research in Sleep, Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV), Lausanne, Switzerland.
- McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- Center of Heart and Lung Innovations, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- University of Regina, Regina, Canada.
- Mechanical & Production Dept, University of Chicago, Illinois, USA.
- College of Engineering, Dept. Mechanical Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno, Nevada.
- Université de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France.
- Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.
- University College London, United Kingdom.
- Brunel University London, United Kingdom.
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom.
- Lappeenraatu University of Technology, Finland.
- The George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA.
- Conquer Chiari Research Center, University of Akron, Ohio, USA.
- Respiratory and Critical Care and Sleep Associates, Akron City Hospital, Ohio, USA.
- Signed a MOU with Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- Mechanical Engineering Dept., Yamaguchi University, Yamaguchi, Japan.
- School of Medical Engineering; Hefei University of Technology, China.
We continue to enhance our national collaboration with local industries and universities. This includes but is not limited to:
- Industrial links with local companies, in particular with Fisher & Paykel Healthcare. More than 35 successful projects over the last 17 years.
- The Bioengineering Institute at the University of Auckland.
- The Waikato Institute of Technology (WIT). Developed joint research proposals.
- The University of Auckland, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department. Developed joint research proposal.
- Signed a MOU with the Medical Research Institute of New Zealand to conduct research on asthma relief using vibrations.
- Uscom Limited: An Australian Company which actively researches, develops and markets novel non-invasive cardiovascular monitoring devices that purchased a New Zealand medical device company previously associated with IBTec.
- School of Population Health, University of Auckland: Provides primary health collaboration for data collection.
- School of Medicine, University of Auckland: Provides collaboration with the departments of cardiology and anaesthesia.
- Imperial College London and University College London: In addition to leading edge clinical research, these institutes are engaged in parallel modelling studies.
- Greenlane, Waitemata and Counties Manukau Cardiovascular Services, Auckland: Collaborations with clinical researchers in cardiac catheterisation.
- Pontificia Universidad Catholica de Chile, Chile: Investigation into use of pulse wave analysis in the management of diseases and syndromes of pregnancy.
Our medium term aim is to increase the depth of collaboration with these and other centres of excellence in the cardiovascular space. For example, relationships are being established with the Warsaw University of Technology (Poland).
- Materials Optimization Ltd (NZ)
- Fisher& Paykel Healthcare (NZ)
- The New Zealand Institute for Plant & Food Research Ltd (HortResearch) (NZ)
- Innovators Ltd
- Inje University (South Korea)
- Singapore University of Technology and Design